Moroccan Arabic Lesson: "I need to", "I should"

"I need to", "I should" ... 

The verb khass خصّ expresses "to need", "should", or "must". It is always in the past tense and is negated by the ma prefix and sh suffix: 

I need khassni - خصّني
You (m.) need khassik - خصّك
You (f.) need khassik - خصّك
She needs khassha - خصّها
He needs khasso - خصّو
We need khassna - خصّنا
You (pl.) need khasskom - خصّكم 
They need khasshom - خصّهم

خصّك تسوني ماماك
khassik tsone mamak

You should call your mother.

غير خصّو شي شوية ديال فلوس باش يبدأ مشروع ديالو
ghair khasso shi shwiya diyal fulus bash ybda mashru3 diyalo. 

He only needs a little money so he can start his project.

ماخصّكش تقول داكشي
makhassiksh tgol dakshi

You shouldn't say that.

Using kan before khass places it in the past tense:


كان خصّني نمشي ل المدرسة اليوما
kan khassni nimshi li lmadrasa lyoma 

I should have gone to school today.


------



Want more? Click here for a list of all of our Moroccan Arabic lessons.

Comments